Lodging franchisor expands annual ‘Your Community, Your Choice.’ grant program by honoring 15 properties for their dedication inside and outside their hotel doors
ROCKVILLE, Md. (February 13, 2023) – Choice Hotels International, Inc. (NYSE: CHH), one of the world's largest lodging franchisors, announced the recipients of this year’s Your Community, Your Choice Grant Program. The program, which began in 2019, recognizes and empowers hotel owners who make a positive difference in their communities.
The 15 selected Choice and Radisson-branded hotels are forging a better tomorrow by awarding the charity of their choice with a $5,000 grant to augment their current community initiatives or start new ones.
- Traditions Hotel & Spa, Ascend Hotel Collection (Binghamton, New York) – The hotel donated its grant funds to The Danielle House, a shelter that offers emotional support for family members visiting seriously ill patients in Binghamton-area hospitals. The property hosts an annual fundraiser to support The Danielle House each year.
- Cambria Hotel Detroit-Shelby Township (Shelby Township, Michigan) – An active member in the community that has given grants, free night stays, and hosted blood drives, the hotel has received a ‘Your Community, Your Choice.’ grant in back-to-back years to assist local nonprofit Blessings in a Backpack. With the funds, the hotel will continue its work with Blessings in a Backpack to help meet the nutritional needs of school-aged children in Shelby Township.
- Cambria Hotel Ocean City - Bayfront (Ocean City, Maryland) – An active supporter of Diakonia, an organization dedicated to providing emergency housing, food assistance, and resources to community members in need, the grant will go toward the hotel’s continued efforts to provide those without homes a Christmas Eve dinner, free night stay as well as ensure there are gifts under the hotel Christmas tree. 2022 also marks the 50th anniversary of Diakonia.
- Clarion Hotel & Suites Fairbanks Near Ft. Wainwright (Fairbanks, Alaska) – Beginning in 2022, the hotel started supporting local Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 3629, the only VFW post in Fairbanks. Through this grant, the property will be able to continue its support of VFW Post 3629 by providing active-duty military members and veterans with warm meals as well as assisting with financial burdens and potential homelessness.
- Clarion Inn Ormond Beach at Destination Daytona (Daytona, Florida) – Each year, the hotel helps organize an annual motorcycle ride on property to raise money for Camp Boggy Creek, an organization that makes it possible for children with serious illnesses to enjoy a camp experience in a safe environment. This grant will allow the hotel to continue providing funding to the camp.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Ames Near ISU Campus (Ames, Iowa) – The property regularly works with Wings of Refuge, a local organization dedicated to helping those that have been victimized by sex trafficking, by offering discounted and free rooms as well as allowing use of the hotel’s facilities. The ‘Your Community, Your Choice.’ grant funds will continue helping this organization provide housing, education and basic needs.
- Comfort Inn and Suites Jacksonville - Orange Park (Jacksonville, Florida) – With Jacksonville serving as one of the largest Naval bases in the U.S., the hotel is a big supporter of the United Service Organization (USO). With this grant, the property will not only put all of these funds towards keeping the Jacksonville airport USO office open, which recently closed due to a lack of funding, but it will match the commitment and donate a total of $10,000 to help active-duty military members, families, and veterans.
- Comfort Inn Mount Pleasant - Racine (Racine, Wisconsin) – A regular supporter of the Homeless Assistance Leadership Organization (HALO), a nonprofit that provides a pathway to self-sufficiency for those experiencing homelessness in Racine County, this grant will enable the hotel to offer increased funding, in addition to contributing complimentary rooms and assisting with food drives, clothing, pillow, and mattress needs.
- Comfort Inn Troutdale-Portland East (Portland, Oregon) – With two hotel front-desk associates unfortunately battling cancer, one of them turned to Michelle’s Love, a nonprofit that assists single parents going through treatment by paying rent and utilities as well as providing meals or any other needs. With the Your Community, Your Choice.’ grant, the hotel will donate all the funds to Michelle’s Love on behalf of the associate.
- Comfort Suites Stuart-Hutchinson Island (Stuart, Florida) – In addition to its “Level 3 Room to be Green” sustainability designation for implementing solar panels, EV charging stations and recycling, the hotel also donates bedding, linens, and food to the House of Hope. The property also gives supplies to local schools and is exploring hospitality internship opportunities for students. With this grant, the hotel will distribute the funds to the House of Hope to help those experiencing homelessness in the area.
- Country Inn & Suites Grand Rapids East (Grand Rapids, Michigan) – For the past several years, staff members of the hotel have volunteered at the Kids Food Basket, a nonprofit organization working to pursue a future in which all children have access to the nourishment that fosters their lifelong health and limitless potential. The grant funds will go to help support this cause.
- Radisson Blu Fargo (Fargo, North Dakota) – Partners of The Great North Pole in Fargo--a nonprofit with a mission to help children and families in need by providing hygiene and household items, including food, winter clothing, and toys--each year, members of the hotel and ownership team, Brandt Hospitality Group, volunteer during the annual week of giving to box up donations and coordinate deliveries to families throughout the community. The hotel will use the ‘Your Community, Your Choice.’ grant to grow their support with the organization.
- Radisson Hotel La Crosse (La Crosse, Wisconsin) – Staff of the hotel are active community members and they take great pride in their support of the Rotary Lights Foundation, an organization committed to feeding the hungry. Each year, the foundation hosts a fundraising event that features more than four million lights and 75 animated displays, and receives more than 130,000 visitors. The hotel team supports the event by offering free meeting space, meals, and a monetary sponsorship. These grant funds will allow the hotel to expand its efforts with the organization.
- Sleep Inn & Suites Smithfield Near I-95 (Smithfield, North Carolina) – This hotel has a special connection with My Kid’s Club--a nonprofit with a mission to help Johnston County youth grow in character and through learning to achieve their potential as responsible and caring citizens--with the property’s owner serving on the board of directors and staff participating in various activities. With these grant funds, the hotel will be able to grow its support for this initiative.
- WoodSpring Suites Atlanta McDonough (McDonough, Georgia) – The hotel supports the community in multiple ways, including establishing food banks and pantries for guests, as well as donating linens to Ronald McDonald House Charities every year and to the V Patel Foundation, which helps children, elderly, and those experiencing homelessness in the community. The ‘Your Community, Your Choice.’ grant will allow the hotel to distribute the funds to the V Patel Foundation to give children the opportunity to be kids, play and go to school.
Choice Hotels is committed to serving the communities where hotel associates work and live — from helping them along the road to economic recovery during the pandemic, to supporting the initiatives that are most important to them and their businesses. The ‘Your Community, Your Choice. Choice Hotels’ Local Business Grant Program is one of many ways in which Choice strives to be a positive community member, including:
- Helping those in need, including ongoing and past efforts with the American Red Cross, Operation Homefront, International Franchise Association, and Serta “Stay Home, Send Beds” Initiative.
- Reducing its environmental footprint and promoting planet friendly practices through its Room to be Green program.
- Partnering with Clean the World to recycle and re-manufacture discarded soap and shampoo from hotels so that they can be distributed to people in need around the world.
To learn more about Choice's efforts to support the communities it serves, view the company's 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance Report.
About Choice Hotels®
Choice Hotels International, Inc. (NYSE: CHH) is one of the largest lodging franchisors in the world. A challenger in the upscale segment and a leader in midscale and extended stay, Choice® has nearly 7,500 hotels, representing almost 630,000 rooms, in 47 countries and territories. A diverse portfolio of 22 brands that run the gamut from full-service, upper upscale properties to midscale, extended stay and economy enables Choice® to meet travelers’ needs in more places and for more occasions while driving more value for franchise owners and shareholders. The award-winning Choice Privileges® loyalty program and co-brand credit card options provide members with a fast and easy way to earn reward nights and personalized perks. For more information, visit www.choicehotels.com.
© 2023 Choice Hotels International, Inc. All rights reserved.